Saturday, February 6, 2016

Memories of Mom & Dad


We had just got home from The British Open Pub in Bonita Springs, FL. My parents got all dressed up, and we all went out to dinner. It was a great night. Had lots of laughs. Didn't realize it would be one of the last times we would all be together. When we got back to my parent's house, my Dad wanted to take a picture of him and my Mom. My Dad, in his wheelchair sad, "Hild, come here, sit on my lap." My Mom was worried about hurting his skinny legs, but my Dad said, "Come on!" So they sat for this photo. Turns out to be the last photo of them together. 

Celebrating my Mom's 83rd birthday November 14th. I was able to spend nearly the entire month of November with my parents. I drove down from the Philadelphia area in early November and stayed until the first week of December. Made a lot of trips to the stores with my Dad. He wanted a good deal on a new TV. He would spend hours looking at the circular ads in the paper, then we spent days driving around to Costco, electronics stores, etc. I think he liked just being out of the house. He could barely walk, but he wanted to get out there and be as independent as he could. 



This is my Mom and Dad how I'd like to remember them. They both had great senses of humor. They absolutely loved all of their grandkids. My Mom always said before we got off of the phone, "give Evan and Eliana a great big hug and a kiss for us and tell them we love them." The kids got talk to their grandparents one last time via FaceTime in November. I wanted them to come visit one more time in November but we just couldn't make it happen. I'd rather my kids remember my parents this way like in the photo you see here. They got to spend time with their grandparents on our many trips to Florida, and for that, I will be forever grateful. They meant the world to my Mom and she loved checking in on the Daddy Diaries and Facebook to see all of the latest photos and videos. Admittedly, I haven't written or posted as much as I would have liked to over the past year or two just because of the way my life was going and mourning the loss of the idea of ever having a normal family life, but I'll continue to post for the kids and for anyone else who is interested. Hopefully, they themselves can look back on this site one day, see how they grew up, knowing that all of their grandparents visited this site often. 

No comments: