Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009


Someday, (hopefully a long, long, time from now,) you'll ask me what happened here, and I'll have to tell you, without mincing words. I'm sure it will be difficult to understand. I'd rather you not have to hear how intolerably cruel man can be. I'd rather you never know how some people can so filled with hate, that they feel justified in taking the lives of innocent people. What I do want you to know about, is the selfless acts of courage and bravery that happened on this day. That, in the face of such imminent danger, some risked their own lives to save the lives of others without even thinking twice about it. That, after such a horrific event, so many people put their differences aside and tried to do whatever they could to help. This time every September, I'm reminded of what I saw and experienced that day, and how for better or worse, made me who I am today. While I pause to remember those who were lost with a heavy heart, I also give thanks, and my heart is filled with gratitude that somehow I made it out of there without getting hurt, and years later, was given the gift of being your father, (and your brother or sister's father.)

No comments: