Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dispatches From the Road - Flight 93 Memorial - Somerset, PA

On my way back from Pittsburgh, I paid my respects at the Flight 93 9/11 Memorial in Somerset, PA. It's something I've been wanting to do for 9 years now, and today, I finally made it there. The temporary memorial is located in a building that was used by a surface coal mining company. Inside, the story of Flight 93 is laid out, and the photos and names of the 37 victims are displayed. I took a moment to read each name, and study their face. I tried to imagine what they were like. I quietly wanted to let them know that they weren't forgotten. I was surprised at how emotional I became. I had a lump in my throat and had to fight back tears thinking about them, and what they must have experienced in those final moments. The permanent memorial is expected to be completed in 2014.

No comments: