Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dispatches From the Road - Athens, Ohio.

I arrived at a Super 8 last night in Athens, OH, and was surprised to see the building next door completely blown apart. As many as 8 tornadoes ripped through the area on Thursday and the building next to my hotel must have taken a direct hit. The roof looks like it was lifted up and came crashing down on top of the building.


The walls must have already been cleared, because they are gone. You can see where the roof trusses came down to the floor. Sections of the roof were upside down in the parking lot.



This is the the Super 8 that I stayed at last night. Several of the windows were blown out. What scares me is the 4 foot long gash in the wall just above the window. I can't imagine the force of the wind that caused debris to blast clear through the wall of the hotel. Last night when I was checking in, the owner told me they were without power until only a few hours earlier.

I was surprised to see the hotel's satellite dish laying on the sidewalk when I arrived last night. 

No comments: